Who May Vote by Mail?

If you are a registered voter in Hamilton County, you may choose to vote by mail.
  • Voting by mail is practical if you are permanently disabled, serving in the military, living over-seas or in a temporary situation such as being out of town or not able to be in your precinct during election day hours.

  • A vote by mail ballot may be requested anytime after January 1, during the election year. This is done in person, by mail, online, or by telephone (call 386-792-1426). The ballot will be mailed out as soon as the ballots are received from the printer.

  • You may vote in person at the Hamilton County Supervisor of Elections office starting 10 days before every election. Early voting from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday through Saturday.

  • If you're hospitalized, we will deliver a ballot to you on Election Day. Call (386) 792-1426 to request this service prior to 4:00 p.m.


Make Sure Your Vote By Mail is Counted

If someone helps you fill out your ballot, make sure they mark YOUR CHOICE.

  • After voting, put your ballot in the secrecy envelope, then in the affidavit envelope provided. Print and sign your name in the proper locations on the back of the affidavit envelope. Your signature will be compared to the one on file in the Elections Office to verify its validity. If you do not sign your affidavit envelope, your ballot cannot be counted.

  • If you receive a vote by mail ballot, and find you are able to go to the polls on elections day, take your ballot with you. It will be voided by a poll worker, and you will be allowed to vote at the polls.


How to Correct a Missing Signature on Your Vote By Mail Ballot

If you returned your vote by mail ballot to your supervisor of elections, but forgot to sign the ballot, your ballot will not count unless you complete and return the Omitted Signature Affidavit for Vote by Mail Ballot (DS-DE 139, eff 1/2014) no later than 5 pm on the day before the election. Please follow the instructions on the form carefully, as failure to follow these instructions may cause your ballot not to count. 

Military Info 

Military personnel, their spouses, and dependents may apply for voter registration or request vote by mail ballots with a Federal Post Card Application (which can be obtained from the Unit Voting Officer). US Embassies and Consulates can assist in completing, witnessing, and mailing Federal Post Cards, vote by mail ballots, and other election materials.